Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Save the world and some money too

(photo from Getty Images)

Knowing that I can clean my home, with out-of-the-cupboard items, makes me so happy. I'm also really happy when I find non-toxic cleaning products that actually work. I really love Method cleaning products, but the price usually keeps my selection to a very few items. I always keep the shower cleaner handy as well as a bottle of french lavendar floor cleaner. The smell of those two products is worth the price and both last months and months.

But for other cleaners, I go homemade, and with a few very inexpensive and common items you can too. Here's quick list of everyday items that can make your home shine:

Vinegar
  • dilute vinegar in hot water (1/2 cup to 1 gallon) to scrub floors, counters, and bathroom surfaces.
  • cleans refrigerator grime really well
  • shines mirrors too!
Heinz has a great list of ways to use vinegar around the house. Check it out here.

Lemons

  • a natural degreaser, removes grease from stove and cabinets
  • you can even hand wash dishes in dilutes lemon/water mixes
Baking Soda
  • is the wonder ingredient after all...mixed with 1 T salt and 1/2 cup water you over it will amaze you again!
  • of course Arm and Hammer has loads of tips right on over here.

Salt
  • restores dark color to carpet (and laundry for that matter) sprinkle 1/2 on carpet, let sit for 15-20 minutes then vacuum up. you can also use cornstarch to remove carpet odors this way.
I dare you to try a few of these homemade, safe and inexpensive cleaners next time your bottle of 409 runs out!

I'd love to hear your organic cleaning tips as well!. Share share share!

2 comments:

NY Barney Family said...

what great ideas, Liz! Thanks for the tips, I will for sure try them out!

kristenita said...

great ideas! I have been wrestling with the cleaning problem for a while now & I have decided as soon as my earth-killing toxic cleaning products are gone, I am GOING GREEN & ECO FRIENDLY. thanks for all the tips.

I also love method - I bought a case of their laundry detergent on amazon and LOVE it. ultra concentrated for he or regular washers... and I bought some of their hand soap too. love the lavendar-vanilla. mmmm.