Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Save the world and some money too

photo from Martha Stewart

UPDATE: I just found this awesome photo list on Martha Stewart for wrapping with flair using non-traditional items. Beautiful!

I really, really LOVE to wrap presents. When I was a girl, my Dad would save all his holiday wrapping for me. And I think a part time job at a gift wrapper would be so much fun. But wrapping paper and accessories can get spendy real quick and quite a bit of the materials are not recyclable. This year here are a few options to cut the costs to your wallet and to the planet:

  • Use packing paper for gift wrap. As long as you use a good strong tape, this paper is sturdy, looks nice and crisp and is recyclable.
  • Reuse gift wrap. A mixture of water and starch sprayed on the paper, then ironed on low will zap the wrinkles.
  • Dig in your fabric stash or in the remnants bin at your local fabric source and use pretty patterns to wrap
  • Embelish your gifts with clippings of pine trees, real ribbon, or with a little help from your kids.
  • Look for recyclable gift wrap to use.
I know there are lots more ideas out there on this topic. Share your tips too!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

What a great idea!

kelly said...

My fave gift wrap is wallpaper. You can get it really chaep at outlet/fabric stores. It is really strong and holds up to wrapping and being jostled around. And a lot of people have leftovers sitting around from old jobs!

Lizzy said...

wallpaper! i love it! Thanks Kelly.

Angie said...

That's a cool idea to fix old wrapping paper...I'd try to be more creative with it, but really no one notices the effort...

BUT from a savings stand point it is cool....